If we were to peer into your pantry and fridge, what are 5 things we would find?
- Salt flakes (white for seasoning, pink for finishing)
- Olive oil (again - one for cooking with, one for the final flourish!)
- Tumami, my black garlic and tomato spread… an umami bomb!
- Tinned cherry tomatoes (so much sweeter, and perfect for acting as a base for soups, stews and pasta sauces)
- Parmesan (for grating over stuff, into stuff, and chomping into as a snack)
What are your favourite songs to cook to?
The Impressions - my now husband and I used to play their music when we were first dating and cooking together. It lifts my spirits every time I hear their songs.
Describe your cooking style in 3 words.
Light, bright, joyful
How do you like to shop for food?
I’m always on the lookout for new ingredients and interesting small batch products. Of course, seasonality dictates a lot of what I buy and cook, and that’s made easy with a weekly organic veg delivery. We love visiting the markets and indie grocers and buying up everything we need - it’s just as much a social exercise as it is a practical one… So many friends to visit at each stall. Melbourne is spoiled for choice here!
Bright, bold, and bursting with energy is exactly how you would describe both Alice Zaslavsky herself and Billie Justice Thomson's graphic artworks. Imagine you've come home from the market on a Saturday laying out all the ingredients to make a vibrant Fennel and Tomato Panzanella with your copy of In Praise of Veg open on the counter—that's exactly what Billie did as she approached this piece.